Saturday, January 3, 2015

Dollar Bin Horror Splurge - The Babadook

A single mother, plagued by the violent death of her husband, battles with her son's fear of a monster lurking in the house, but soon discovers a sinister presence all around her.

So, this was a film I had only recently heard about (I'm behind...I know) and everyone seemed to have had an opinion on. Critics apparently loved it if you google reviews for it...other people I know personally who are horror fans were mixed. They either loved it or thought it was...for lack of a better term "meh". They said it was overhyped and "not terrible, but not amazing". I beg to differ.


The Babadook is brilliant. Just plain brilliant. I felt emotions and connections for ALL the characters (which is surprising for me since usually I just connect to one or maybe a few, but here every character had a part to play in this twisted tale and played it well). The little boy...I don't know where they found him, but I love him! He's a fucking terrifying little kid! Not to give any spoilers, but the scene in the car after the party...that little boy had me jumping! And poor mom...the deterioration of her connection with reality due to the Babadook was sad and disturbing. Her acting was spot on and left me with shivers. The mom and son's relationships with the other characters in the film gave it even more of that something that draws you into the story. I didn't want it to end! But when it did, it left you satisfied. And let's not forget the book! Babdook came from a pop-up book that mom read to her son for bed...and what a creepy little book it is. I love the artwork and the story in the book itself. It's a creepy little poem that turns completely sinister as the film progresses.

 

The writing, the style, the emotion, dark and unsettling feel to the home they lived it...everything fit together so wonderfully. And the best part...IT WAS ACTUALLY SCARY! It didn't rely of lots of blood or graphic nudity (which I love, but it's nice to see a film once in a while that's just a damn good film). It got inside your head and played tetherball with your emotions. I would recommend this movie to everyone. Whether you liked it or not, it's a film that should be seen at least once.

5 comments:

Richard said...

Probably the most brilliant horror movie I've seen in many years.

John Phillips said...

I turn to a vampire any time i want to. i become a vampire because of how people treat me, this world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. at the snack of my finger things are made happened. am now a powerful man and no one step on me without an apology goes free. i turn to human also at any time i want to. and am one of the most dreaded man in my country. i become a vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a vampire kingdom by given me their email. All thanks to Lord Shaka for your empowerment if you want to become a powerful vampire kindly contact the vampire kingdom on their Email: ( lordshakavampirekingdom@gmail.com )

Jerome Samson said...

Vampires is not at all like in the movies or books. Sure, I understand. You are young you have the whole world open to you. You can be anything that you choose if you apply yourself and try hard to work toward that goal. But being a Vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, But how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the Vampires Lord on his Email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I'm someone who has lived a life seemingly in the background, I must say this final indignity I have suffered almost too much to endure. You see, I have been sickly and weak since the day I was born and doomed to go through my life weakling. I seemed to have always suffered from one illness or another and could never play with the other children as I so desperately wanted to. Mother always made such a big fuss over me, also, making the situation worse as the other boys teased me mercilessly after they saw it. I was browsing  the internet searching on how I could be transformed into a powerful person when I came across the email of a man named Lord Mark. who was a VAMPIRE so I told him that I has always dreamed of becoming a  VAMPIRES, All i did was just to follow the procedure that i was been told, and i bet you that procedure I took change my entire life to something i ever desire, freedom, sickness free, pains free, fame, influence, connections and even more that i can. Thanks to Lord Mark. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

zanipoloabner said...

Authentic T-Shirt with Pure Titanium Earrings
T-Shirt with titanium white dominus price pure microtouch titanium titanium earrings: titanium white dominus The price of titanium ultimate classic earrings collection for women in the USA, from unique premium edc titanium quality earrings to traditional